So, it's been a while since I've posted because nothing blog-worthy has happened. And lately I've been giving a lot of thought to the whole blogging practice. On the one hand, I am grateful to those who have blogged before me and have shared about their experience in ways that have been so helpful to me. On the other hand, I'm afraid of mis-blogging. Yes, I made up that word, but hopefully it conveys the meaning. I don't want to write anything on my blog that might accidentally hurt someone- now or in the future.
Blogging is such a funny thing because your audience is not totally known. On the one hand, I know that the minutia of my life is not interesting enough for the national morning news. But on the other hand, anyone could potentially read this. Hmmmm. I work hard to exercise good judgement, but when the audience is so potentially wide that it's hard to write appropriately to the reader and all future potential readers.
So, bloggy friends, have you any thoughts on this? Do you have book suggestion that I can read on the topic? I'm sure I'm not the only person who has grappled with this topic.
Yeah, I know what you mean. There are many "blog worthy" things that have happened that I have chosen not to blog about bc I didn't want to hurt anyone or offend anyone that might find the blog. I also make sure to keep writing for me, not the people out there in Bloggy land. It's a tough line to walk, especially when blogging abut something so personal as adoption. Sending you good blog vibes! xxoo
ReplyDeleteYou could always go private! :)
ReplyDeleteI decided when I began the blog that I was writing mine as a gift to my sons--so I know my intended audience with every word I write. (Yours may wind up being a gift to your son/daughter. I often wish I had started earlier than when I did.) However, that being said, I know that others have read and do--and I invite them to. I'm not sure when or how often my words have offended anyone--I hope not often! There was one time, though, when I needed to write something that had the potential to hurt someone close to me. I let him know ahead of time that I would be writing it--just as a courtesy. But when you put your writing (or yourself) "out there," you run the risk of offending or having your words misconstrued. Keep exercising good judgment--and know that more often than not, your words will bring comfort and light to others--especially your child!
ReplyDelete