Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sharing the Experience

On Friday evening, I met up with Marnie, (Christopher's mother, for those of you who don't know) and her good friend Nancy Stensvaag for dinner.  Both of them are adoptive mothers of children around my age (or a bit younger).  That dinner ended up being such a special, almost magical experience.  Both Nancy and Marnie told of their experiences meeting their adopted children, sharing more than just what happened but also how they both felt about the experience.  Christopher is away right now at Otherworld in CT (Hi Honey!) so it was a girls only conversation that I will never forget.  I really felt a part of something wonderful- adoption.

To summarize everything I learned, it's natural to be nervous about this or that, but the love in my heart will win out and everything will come together as it should.  I am very aware of how lucky I am to have such amazing examples of adoptive families so willing to share and help and be supportive.

I was also able to share with them how I have relatives who have adopted and how inspirational they all are to me too.  Susan and Jack, Tommy and Helen, Kevin and Marsha, Maureen and Jeff, and Kelly and Jon are all cousins who have brought our family all kinds of joy through their experiences with adoption.  From them all I have learned so much about the way I want things to be, and I'm grateful for their example.  And I love all the interesting and wonderful things my adopted cousins have brought to our family.  They truly make us complete as an extended family.

And then I have good friends who have adopted.  Joslyne and Demetri are most notable because they have been so incredibly generous with all that they have shared that they have shaped our adoption in many important ways.  Because they adopted here in Tennessee, we got suggestions on who to work with in the area to handle the proceedings.  Then we got to spend good quality time with them and Zoey and learned lots about day-to-day.  I guess it would be accurate to say that most of what we learned there was about parenting in general, but since neither Christopher nor I have kids already, we needed to learn about that too. :)  And then when they were about to move to MA last spring, they passed on so much baby stuff that Christopher and I are well ahead of the game in terms of having what we need to get started.  Here is a picture of them from last December when we made holiday cookies together:



As far as Gene and Marnie,  Christopher's parents, I will write a separate post about them.  They truly are amazing people so it will take several blogs just to begin to convey my admiration and respect for them.  I'll just start by saying that the family I married into (including the extended family) is truly wonderful and I am proud to be a part of their traditions.  More on that to come.

10 comments:

  1. Amen. I don't what I would have done if I didn't have a community of friends through adoption that made our process and wait so much more enjoyable. Not to mention how much we learned from them all, too. It's definitely a blessing to know that others have gone before you and that their lives were so enriched by adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen from me, too. We were inspired by others who adopted before us, including my sister Ruth. We have known Christopher from his childhood, and we also know how long he searched for you. We're so glad he found such an amazing woman and such a great soul mate. Your compassion and loving heart shine through in your posts. It is a privilege to be able to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are overjoyed that you are a part of our family!!!

    And we are so excited to be a part of your adoption. Each of our adopted daughters has enriched our lives in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad to have been able to walk prat of your adoption path with you!!! We miss you guys!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEEEE!!! You're related to Kelly & Jon? Okay, I must confess I have spent several hours reading huge chunks of their blog and am now enamored with little Max. I have been fascinated by the whole adoption experience in general ever since my mom served as a surrogate for my aunt and uncle when I was a teenager (not the same thing, I know, but it got me interested in the topic). Reading Kelly's blog was a lot of fun and she sure has a ridiculously sweet little boy. I think I also related to her because of the whole lawyer thing. ANYWAY, I loved your post and think you are going about this adoption in a very cool way by doing all of this emotional research. And remind me to have a conversation with you about what gaps in baby gear you still have because it's likely I can fill them with great gender-neutral pieces to fit in with Zoey's gear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niki, do you know Kelly besides through me? You guys have a Duke connection. She went there too for undergraduate. And she grew up in San Diego, CA. Another similarity? I forget where in CA you grew up. Anyway, Max is too cute. And thank you for the offers for baby clothes, I will know more in a few weeks.

    And I feel like it's a good thing you are blogging about your kids because they are growing up like weeds! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No!!! I just clicked on her blog through yours and fell in love with little Max (and Kelly and Jon). What year did she graduate? I graduated in 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I lived in Auburn, a suburb of Sacramento. Not really near SD, but still pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure she graduated in 1995 so you might have just missed each other there. :)

    ReplyDelete