Wednesday, November 16, 2011

She's Here!

Yes, she arrived on October 20th, and needless to say, life has not been the same since.  The beginning was a bit rocky-  she had to be admitted to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital when she was four days old (we had been home a little over 24 hours).  That was scary.  I stayed with her there for three nights while she received an IV for dehydration as well as light treatment for jaundice.  It is unclear what caused the problem, but it is possible that the jaundice caused her to get too tired to eat, which caused the dehydration.  I noticed she wasn't eating much and that her diapers seemed drier than they should be, and that's why I called her pediatrician.  He recommended we call 911, so we did and ended up taking an ambulance to the hospital.  It felt very dramatic, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

After 24 hours with the IV and light treatment, she perked up and started eating well and being overall more lively.  Nevertheless, they kept her to test her for infection- which she ended up not having.  So when she was 7 days old, Christopher and I took her home from the hospital- for the second time.  Needless to say, I was tense and worried about her health after that.  I was checking every diaper for sufficient moisture, and monitoring how much she was eating.  It took a good several weeks for me to relax, but at three weeks she had gained a pound and the doctor said she was doing very well.

Since then we have had sleepless nights and busy days, but we've also had many kisses and snuggles with our little girl.  She's amazing, and we are savoring every moment. :)

Here's our little love bug:

2 comments:

  1. Ugh -- that sounds absolutely terrifying. So glad you are all home and getting lots of cuddles. xo

    ReplyDelete