Over the weekend I was able to stop by Border Bookstore. It's what I do. Whenever I have a conundrum, or something otherwise occupying my brain, I usually head to the bookstore. And it works. Almost always, I discover that someone somewhere has gone through something similar to my experience... and they have written a book about it. I would sit in the cafe with my unpurchased book and feel at one with the author.
Well on this trip, I wanted to feel at one with other adoptive families. So I asked one of the workers where the adoption section was. When I saw it I was shocked. I don't know why I was so struck, but I was. I even took a picture.
That's the adoption section on the bottom shelf of the left bookcase, to the right of the divider (which might be hard to see). No, it does not continue on the top shelf of the next bookcase. Nine books. That's it.
But sometimes it only takes one, and Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other by Scott Simon did the trick. Within two pages I was sobbing as quietly as I possibly could. I sat there cross-legged on the floor of the bookstore and sobbed. And when I calmed down, I bought the book.

What a sweet post. I felt privileged to read it.
ReplyDeleteYou bought only one book? GASP! I'm shocked!!!!! ;) Let me know how it is -- I might need to read it too!
ReplyDeleteOh sweetie!! That makes me so happy to hear you found the book for you. When you want some kids' books for your child about adoption, let me know because my mother-in-law has a good list for that too!
ReplyDeleteI've heard that's a good one and it's on my list! Sorry the adoption section was so small :( I have a list of some other ones you might be interested in, although a lot of them relate more to international adoption.
ReplyDelete