Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Adoption Journey Part I

Although this is the first time I am blogging about our adoption journey, it is well underway.  We have identified our agency and we are well into our homestudy.  References have been written, applications have been filled out, one doctor visit (my physical) is done, and we have been in touch with our caesworker about the fact that we should get matched with a birthmom before or shortly after Thanksgiving, 2010.

We have tons of baby stuff from our friends Joslyne and Demetri (thank you soooooo much guys!) and I have bought some children's books (I felt like it was a guilty pleasure since I love books and can't wait to read to my child), diapers (they won't go bad, right?) and a new doll (will write a separate post about this).  I have been dreaming about how different life will be.  There are so many unknowns at this point.  We don't know the race of our baby yet.  We don't know what it will be like to be parents together (Christopher and me).  We don't know the gender of our baby.  We don't know how open our adoption will be.  And that's just for starters.

But I am excited and getting more so over time.  Today I did some online research to find books on adopted families, raising children ethically, healthy/environmentally friendly baby formula, and used baby cribs.  I'm scared when I think of integrating the raising of a child in the midst of my already busy (and sometimes stressful) life as a teacher.  I know I will take time off from work but we haven't decided yet how much.

Well, I'll start there and leave this post short.  Hopefully there will be time for me to blog through this experience.  Comments and helpful advice from friends and family will be not only appreciated but necessary.  We will need advice, understanding, support, love, cheer, a shoulder to cry on sometimes and other things we don't know yet that we will need.  But we have an awesome group of people in our lives and for that we are totally grateful.

7 comments:

  1. All I can say is, what a lucky baby to be part of such a loving family. I have a feeling this is my new favorite blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kate, this is so exciting (and scary I'm sure) for you and Christopher. I have tears in my eyes reading this. You have so much love to give a baby, I'm sure it won't matter a lick what race or gender the baby is. I will put you in our prayers that your journey is peaceful and your baby arrives quickly. Love to you and Christopher. Jennifer
    P.S. have you started thinking about names!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the gift of this blog. Your child is already surrounded by love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kate! Kathy Barrette told me of your blog and your plan! I am SO excited for you! Are you on Facebook? I'm under Samantha Hines (how original!). She said she sent you the link to my blog. Here is my phone number, too, if you ever need to talk: 401-849-2876. Best wishes to you and your family. Your child will find you and you him (or her). That I can promise you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for taking time to write a comment. And Samantha, it is so great that Kathy Barrette connected us. I will FB friend you and I plan to read your blog. Thank you for being willing to be touch after all these years! And Jennifer, we do have names. We have known for a long time that we would like to name a girl Evelyn (after Christopher's grandmother) and a boy Liam (sort of after my grandfather on my Dad's side, who was William). We are open to twins (!) so we'd be all thrown off if we got two girls or two boys because we only have one name each. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's wonderful news, kate! you will be a wonderful mother, and although i've never met chris, i'm sure he will be a wonderful father. best of luck to both of you, and thanks for sharing your life changing journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you and Christopher to begin this journey! As you know, adoption has been such a blessing in our life and it's just the beginning! I am glad I can follow along on your path to your child ... sounds like it's not a very long wait. Wow!

    ReplyDelete