Evelyn's room is coming along nicely. Before I left for my summer travel, I got these cute pink curtains to hang.
After hanging them, I had a funny reaction. I got emotional about finally having pink curtains. I think this reaction came from two places. On the one hand, it is possible to get emotional at any given moment about a new baby coming. Some combination of hormones and the knowledge that something life-changing is coming soon conspire to bubble up big emotions on the dime. I'm choosing to take these feelings as a normal part of being pregnant. On the other hand, I do think that the reaction came in some part from my own childhood story. I always wanted more pink things than I had growing up. Like any child, I couldn't always have what I wanted, so this admission is not to say that this aspect of my childhood should have been different. But I was lucky enough (and sometimes cursed) to have my four closest-in-age siblings be brothers. The hand-me-downs I got from my two older brothers tended to not be pink (for obvious reasons); and purchases made for me tended to be neutral whenever possible in anticipation of handing them down to my two younger brothers.
When I put up the curtains, even I was surprised when I internally said to myself "finally". This then led to thoughts about not wanting to make Evelyn have to live the unfinished parts of my life. But before she is able to choose, Christopher and I get to choose for her. And for now, pink curtains it is.
So ridiculously sweet! Love the curtains. Wow -- what a contrast between Evelyn's entry into the world and yours. Sandwiched between all those boys vs. leading the charge. What fun to see how it all plays out!!
ReplyDeleteLovely post! Enjoyed sharing it with Nancy.
ReplyDeleteOoooh! I love the curtains!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThose are the happiest green walls EVER!
ReplyDeleteYay for pink stuff! I think your feelings about the curtains make total sense. How amazing will it be when your little pink bundle of joy is laying in that crib?! Oh, btw, you might want to think about getting black out shades to go along with those cute pink curtains ... they've saved our lives in the sleep dept with Max :)
ReplyDelete